Tuesday, March 22, 2005

The Smartest Books I Know

Today, Fortune Magazine listed their "smart" books or as I like to call them "sacred texts." Here's my own list of my own Sacred Texts:

Guide to Self-Promotion:
Edie: An American Biography by Jean Stein and edited by George Plimpton. Follow the life of Edie and learn how to use your connections and fashion sense to become the new it-girl.

How to be Seen on the Scene:
Downtown by Michael Musto. Musto actually includes a play-by-play list of how to get noticed at the Palladium or Danceteria. This kind of advice comes in handy if you are just going to Gristedes.

Fashion Emergencies:
911 Beauty Secrets: An Emergency Guide to Looking Great at Every Age, Size and Budgetby Diane Irons. I never knew how to get those yellow stains out of the armpits of a white t-shirt until Diane told me how!

Petcare:
I refer to Cats for Dummies more than I like to admit, but where else can I find detailed instructions on how to administer antibiotic drops to MJ Cat?

Entertaining and Home Decor:
Simply Halston: The Untold Story by Randy Gaines. Halston sure knew how to throw a dinner party in his ultra-chic ultrasuede covered apartment. Afterwards, he'd sashay on over to Studio 54 with his guests. I wish I had room on my desk for an orchid.

Dating and Romance:
What appears at first to be mindless numbing "chick lit," Straight Talking by Jane Greene is actually a meditation on how to get over being a "passion junkie." I'm not kidding. I've referred this novel to other non-committal thirtysomethings, and it's changed their lives forever.

No comments:

statcounter