Monday, August 18, 2008

Happy Birthday To Me

Tomorrow is my birthday which used to provide me with a sense of excitement but now the sentiment has somewhat changed into an unexpected reflection. As I write this, I feel a slight dull pain in my left hip which appeared in the last year. I feel a sense of nostalgia and grief for close friendships I've lost, who have died or that have faded over the years. And, yet I'm grateful for the love of my family and the five years of companionship I've shared with my cat. Five years ago I hated cats and took my family for granted. I think about all the little babies who have entered my life and how I look forward to sharing memories with the children of my close friends in years to come. I am excited that some of the friends I've lost along the way have reappeared and surprised me coming back into my life again and I'm thrilled about some of the new friends I've met recently. I am happy for the sprig of lavendar that a friend gave me tonight as a gift and am surprised that such a small token could mean so much to me. But, most of all, I think about how I'm not so concerned anymore of who I want to be but just to be content with who I am. I suppose this is the greatest birthday gift I can give to myself. Here's to a great year!

Love,
Me

No comments:

statcounter