Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Sleepism! Owls Unite!

Finally, The New York Times has defined a bias that I encounter and have named it "sleepism." This weekend, the Times actually wrote about those biologically constructed to not sleep on what are considered "winning" hours. Over the course of my career, I've always been personally fascinated by people who brag about getting up before the crack of dawn and/or who claim to need little sleep. And, these are the people who always get promoted first and considered the most productive in traditional corporate environments. Frankly, I don't buy it. People who live this type of life go to bed earlier and miss out on having night owl fun. I, however, am not biased against these people. I dont' call them on the phone at 11:00PM and sarcastically remark, "Wow, I can't believe you are in bed," in the same way a friend might do that to me at 9:30AM on a Saturday morning. Owls sleep just as many hours, work just as hard but cannot physically function if they are forced to be up at 5AM. Just because we enjoy watching Letterman and working on our podcasts late at night, are we not as valuable as the early risers? Should we find more progressive careers in entertainment or freelance that do not mirror antiquated farm hours? Will companies lose the creative rested minds of owls as we all flock to jobs where we are promoted and rewarded for our achievements rather than our ability to be in the office by 7AM? Thank you Times for raising these questions although I am not sure about the answers. I have to go to bed now.

The New York Times > Fashion & Style > The Crow of the Early Bird

No comments:

statcounter