Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Top 10 Movies of 2004

Although I realize that every moron out there has his or her top 10 movie lists, here is mine for 2004.

1. Tarnation
This was so good I wish I had made it. Medium can save your life.

2. Baadasssss!
I am always up for any movie about the demytholigization of an asshole father figure. The Royal Tennebaums was the last great movie that successfully showed this psychological process. I'm also a sucker for any film about film. Mario redeems himself on all accounts through catharsis.

3. Before Sunset
How good is that last crazy scene from the point where she plays the Waltz until the very last second? Everybody went "Awww" in the theater. I'm not a romance movie kind of girl, but Ethan has never been better in anything than he has been in these Sunrise/Sunset movies and Julie Delpy is just so pretty and relatable. And that scene where she went to touch him but withdrew her hand made my heart shutter. God, I wonder what happened to that guy I met on the beach in the summer of 1992. I wonder if he reads this blog and will look me up one day?

4. Bad Education
Almodovar just keeps getting better and better. I was engrossed. I told my friend that this was Almodovar's least gay movie, and he knew what I meant. Also, doesn't Gael Garcia look just like Julia Roberts? Uncanny.

5. The Aviator
I'm a sucker for this type of Hollywood Babylon story. I'm also a sucker for Scorcese and Leo. What can I say? I loved it.

6. Kill Bill, Volume 2
I can't believe I'm confessing this but I cried hysterically at the end of Kill Bill, Volume 2. I hadn't cried so hard since I saw My Dog Skip. Uma's quest for independence was extremely moving. She fought her demons with class, patience and style.

7. Thirteen Going on Thirty
By far, this Hollywood blockbuster starring my least favorite tabloid actress was surprisingly entertaining and thoughtful. I always wish I could go back to being 13 knowing what I know now and be able to change my life by making better choices. I know a lot of women feel the same way.

8. Sideways
Everything you've read about it is true. This movie is perfectly constructed on all accounts. All the actors deserve Oscars.

9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
This was the saddest movie I have ever seen in my life. I shouldn't have watched it immediately after being dumped because I felt like I was going to throw-up the entire film. Jim Carey is becoming my favorite serious actor. I wish he'd stop doing stupid comedies.

10. The Dreamers
This movie was sexy and Michael Pitt is one SMF. Watching this movie and the Prince show were two of my most public heated moments of 2004. I bought the soundtrack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Regarding 13 going on 30. I did not see the movie and I am not sure I even heard of it, but I too wish I could go back to being 13 or maybe just 15 (which was when my decline began)

I would do some things better and some things worse. I would not have taken up drinking in high school. I don't think I got anything out it except some embrassing moments - mostly public, some intimate.

However, it's too late now, but I think I may have become a pot smoker.

Everyone I know who was a pothead is very successful right now. That's assuming they stayed with pot and did not move up the danger scale.

However, I fell for the propaganda that pot was worse, and I avoided it, but then compensated by drinking too much.

The reefer smokers always had a bevy of babes hanging around their dorms in college.

I and my friends only had empty pizza boxes and an occasional bucket of yuck lying around.

I also would have done more math and I would have dated that cute Indian woman that I blew off my Freshman year.

Then again, if I was a pothead, she might not have wanted to date me.

On the other hand, I would have had other women, with a generally more liberal worldview and exuberant attitude about college sexuality.

I would have read War & Peace earlier. My God, after I read that book I could not imagine dying without reading it!

I would have adopted a pose of fashionable atheism and would only now be slowly working my way out of it - so I could publish a spiritual memoir like Simone Weil.

statcounter