Tuesday, July 12, 2005

There's No Such Thing as a Free Lunch

Somewhere in the early 90's, someone put a curse on me. The curse is that if I meet a romantic prospect or someone I am dating for lunch, I can guarantee that this will be the last time I ever see him or that we will break up. I must find a way to break this curse as it happened to me again this week. Here is a record of my lost New York City lunch dates:

1. Christopher-Tramway Diner-Christopher was my first boyfriend in New York. We dated for a while, met each other's families and even traveled together. We broke up over lunch at the Tramway Diner, but I don't remember why.

2. Bill D., Trattoria Del Arte-I met Bill at my old hangout NW3 in 1994. He was in town for a wedding and it was actually Valentine's Day. He was a lawyer from Philadelphia and he walked me home from the bar and called me that night when he returned to his hotel room saying that he couldn't wait to see me again. We corresponded for a few months, but lost touch. Four years later, he contacted me out of the blue to tell me that he moved to New York and asked me to meet him for lunch. I remember I wore my best black suit. I never saw him or heard from him again.

3. Michael-his loft- Michael was an older handsome investment banker I met while in grad school. He lived in a loft on Bond Street. He'd pick me up in his SUV and take me to Nobu after class or I'd rollerblade over to his apartment and drink fine wine. The last time I saw him was Easter Sunday 1994 to meet him for a holiday lunch. When I arrived, I noticed a woman's straw hat left by his door. I never saw him again after that day.

4. Rob-Da Silvano-Rob took me to lunch for my birthday while I was working at a dot.com that was going out of business. I liked Rob and we had been on a few dates, so I thought this power lunch might be the time to break the curse. We had a pleasant lunch where during desert he informed me he was quitting his job and moving to Hawaii to become a surfer. I never saw him again.

5. Chris, Manatus Diner-Chris is someone I met recently who I really liked and thought might have the potential to turn into someone I could actually date. A couple of weeks ago, he asked me to meet him for lunch on my day off. I was hesitant and told him about the curse and that I'd hate to not see him again. He assured me it wouldn't happen. So, against my better judgment I agreed to meet him for lunch. Last night he told me that he doesn't think it's a good idea for us to see each other again. I blame the lunch.

No comments:

statcounter