Wednesday, March 29, 2006
Trader Joe's Grocery List
It's been a week since I made my first trip to Trader Joe's. For years, I've had friends from the West Coast bragging out Trader Joe's and I never understood what the fuss was about. I've always been a Jefferson Market/Gourmet Garage type of a girl. As most of my good friends know, I'm slightly obsessed with grocery stores. My sister once witnessed the time I had to go to at least ten stores to find the perfect cut of chicken wings to make for a party. I still don't get all the fuss about Whole Foods. Last Friday after a trip to the allergist, I decided to stop at TJ's on the way home. I even stood in line for five minutes to get into the store. Well, I've been enjoying my purchases for a week, and I have to confess, I can't wait to go back to that store. The food was cheap and delicious. The shelves were slightly picked over and there were some things I wanted to try, but the cashier told me I had to get to store before noon to get such items as tandoori flavored papadam. Here is a list of my latest purchases. I spent approximately $30.
1. Whole Grain Pretzels-Standard pretzel taste.
2. Chickpea Salad--I am kind of hooked on the chickpea salad.
3. Pita Chips--I used to buy Stacy's Pita Chips at Gourmet Garage, but these are just as good and half the price.
4. Bottled Green Tea--Cheaper than the Ito and just as good. Green tea is green tea.
5. Chili-covered dried mango--I haven't tried this yet.
6. Chicken Potstickers--I ate these for dinner last weekend and they were delicious with some Worcestershire sauce.
7. Frozen seafood mix--I haven't tried this yet, but Jen S. bought the same item and made a nice seafood salad out of it.
8. Low-fat Cat Cookies: I got a tub of these cookies and they are not only delicious and low-fat, but they are shaped like cats!
9. Yogurt--I tried the key like and it made a nice dessert. I have two more flavors to try in the fridge.
10. Premade wild rice--I haven't tried this yet.
11. Turkey Chili--I tried the canned turkey chili last night and although it made me fart like crazy all night, it was tasty.
12. Bagged herb salad--I always add my own dill and parsley, so it was nice to find this salad that includes these herbs. It was also cheaper than the Dole or Fresh Express mixes.