Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Death of a Salesman

As you know, the past couple of weeks have been very difficult for me. One of the side effects of grief, is that one loses tolerance for asshats (my new favorite word courtesy of ANP). Today, I dealt with the worst kind of asshat which is the self-entitled pushy salesman. I've been transitioning into a new job and part of my job is business development which means having to take the calls of sales people. I'm the kind of person who always returns a call and if I can't talk to you, will set expectations for when I can.

When I came back to the office, I received numerous emails from a salesman freaking out that the person whose job I am assuming had left the company. I responded that I was aware of his product, that I was in transition and had been out of the office due to an emergency and that I would get back to him when I fully assumed the role and was up to speed. I told him I had been out of the office and couldn't provide him any proper attention now.

Tip One: If you are selling someone something, listen to her about when she says she'll respond. If she can't respond now, barraging her with emails and phone calls is not such a great sales tactic as she doesn't have the attention or information to listen to you pitch.

He did not like this and said that his project had already received "verbal agreement" and then listed a bunch of people I already work with and know. I asked them about this agreement, and they all said that they had not agreed to anything.

Tip Two: Don't lie to me and take advantage of my lack of experience in my new role. This is not a good way to start a relationship.

I wrote in my calendar to respond to this person next week. Today, I went into the office. Last night was the first night I've been able to go to bed before four and I felt slightly more composed as I entered the office. I checked my voicemail and my boss's boss forwarded me a voicemail from the saleperson's boss stating that I haven't responded to him making me look irresponsible and careless. Needless to say, this pissed me off and started off any kind of ongoing working relationship I had with this company on the wrong foot. I don't appreciate unwarranted tattling and I don't like working with trashy salesman. I like to work with companies that are intuitive, smart and thoughtful and don't appreciate those who try to make me like I'm not doing my job when I have already responded to you and set expectations.

Tip Three: Don't fucking call up the chain to get your way because one day when I have full say (and I will because I'm young and ambitious), I will NEVER fucking take you or your minions calls ever again)

So, although my boss's boss understand my situation, I'm still pissed at this company. If you are in the field of sales, don't behave like an asshat or I guarantee your numbers will be down and your reputation irreversibly tarnished.

No comments:

statcounter