Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Batman: The Dark Knight Review


Last night, I went to a screening of the new Batman film. I was skeptical that the film was going to ride on the coattails of the mystery surrounding Heath Ledger's death. I was wrong. The film would be fantastic no matter what. I don't want to give much away, as the film is full of surprises and action. But, I do want to say that Batman is actually very deep and meditates not only on the current state of our current politics but also on the deepest conflicts that plague the human ego. What is right? Do we sell our souls to help our families? Can you really rehabilitate evil? What motivates do-gooders? Do we really know who our real heroes are?


I also have to state that Heath Ledger's final full performance is incredible. The Joker is so fully-realized, scary and plain old batshit crazy that you have to wonder if throwing himself into the performance did take a toll on his mental state.


No comments:

statcounter