Sunday, October 29, 2006

Cat Scratch Fever


On Friday after writing his blog, Max came to sit on my lap and as I went to pick him up, his claw accidentally got caught in the inner corner of my mouth creating a long deep gash. This caused quite a bit of bleeding and I wasn't sure what even happened, but my appearance was scarier than any Halloween costume you could dream of. So, after the bleeding stopped, I went to work and saw the male work nurse who is the stereotype of a male nurse who you would expect to be working at a large company. He told me that as a result of the scratch I could actually get cat scratch fever which is kind of like the mumps and that my thyroid would have to be drained. Here are some of the symptons:
Cat scratch fever presents with tender regional lymphadenopathy, sterile suppurative papules at the site of inoculation, slight fever, headache, chills, backache, anorexia, abdominal pain, malaise. Alteration of mental status and convulsions. It may take 7 to 14 days, or as long as two months, before symptoms appear. Most cases are benign and self-limiting, but lymphadenopathy may persist for several months after other symptoms disappear. The prognosis is generally favourable. In temperate climate most cases occur in fall and winter. The disease usually resolves spontaneously, with or without treatment, in one month
.
He said I could get this in three-five days so I'm still sitting here waiting for the onset of this disease. If I do get cat scratch fever, I do hope the anorexia is part of it, because my diet really needs a jump start.

No comments:

statcounter